Sunday, March 14, 2010

Task 2: Objectified

This film caught my attention, as a design student, because it showed how working designers view the world around them. I have noticed that I really do make assumptions about all objects. How much it costs, the luxury of the fabric, or even where and how it was made. I find that most of the time my assumptions are correct. However, now moving to a new place definitely brings interesting curveballs. Even though Australian and American cultures are of the same sort, they have subtle differences that really surprise me. For example, purchasing food is a much different experience. Some items that are in same packaging and branding are completely different in essence. And I quickly found out that Lipton Green Tea was definitely NOT tea, but a strange (and disgusting) soda beverage. In this case, my assumption of how the item will taste was completely wrong. And this quote from the movie seems fitting: “Every object, intentional or not, speaks to who put it there”. Because this tea is not sold in America it is intentionally geared to Australians.

I appreciated some of the techniques that design firms used to decode objects. The trick of “mapping” a glove for pressure points was pretty cool. I also liked this quote from the movie: “good design is as little design as possible”. I can’t agree with that more- the best designs are well integrated into life itself.

“Anger or dissatisfaction provide an important role in motivating you”. I thoroughly believe this quote holds truth in my life in many ways. Not to mention this dissatisfaction of design is WHY I am in this major. Settling on what is poorly designed for the sake of convenience or price is so dissatisfying. And everyone does this- every single day!

My dissatisfaction in design also relates to the last part of the movie about being ecologically conscious. “We should ask, not what is the new toothbrush is but what is the future of oral care”. I do believe that we need to be much more conscious to the future of our products than to the future of the next new product.

No comments:

Post a Comment